Committee members (2016): Chair Stephanie Smith, Vice Chair Brenda Brown, Vice Chair Sussanne Skidmore, Patty Schlafen (104), Andrea Duncan (C3 VP), Pamela Pye (C3 PE rep), Amanda Greenlay (304), Sherry Ogasawara (C4 VP), Salli Rye (C4 PE rep), Ruby Driedger (404), Kimberlee MacGregor (C5 VP), Sonja Haigh (611), Nancy Naylor (703), Carla Dempsey (C8 VP), Lana Vincent (1003), Maria Middlemiss (C12 PE rep), Helen Repole (1207), Gayle Furgala (1707), Colette Fauchon (2003), MJ Colquhoun (804), Anita Sullivan (505), Monica Wyllie (704), Darlene Gallant (801) YW, Emet Davis, Secretary; Holly Reid, Assistant Secretary.
Affiliates: Shawna Walsh (BC Ferries and Marine Workers), Adele Peters (Compensation Employees' Union)
Terms of reference:
- promotes the awareness of women's issues within the union;
- encourages the participation of women at all levels of union activities;
- recommends to the provincial executive the elimination of specifically identified systemic barriers to full participation of women in the union;
- promotes, through the education committee, and other provincial executive committees, the continuing education of our members on areas of gender equity and rights within the union;
- develops bargaining proposals on issues of concern to women;
- recommends educational programs which address the needs of women;
- reviews union policies, practices and positions with a life/work balance lens and amend as required; and
- develops and submits resolutions to the provincial executive for BCGEU and labour affiliates.
The BCGEU Women's Committee is involved in the following:
- International Women's Day on March 8: Around the world people celebrate women's contributions and continue to fight for women's equality. Copies of the BCGEU International Women's Day poster are available at BCGEU area offices.
- Herstory Month in October.
- The National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women on December 6.
Check back for a list of labour-supported events in communities across B.C. All BCGEU members are invited to take part in these events.