Our union's fundamental commitment to human rights and our bonds of solidarity with workers around the world drives our active stance on international solidarity issues.
We allocate $0.20 per member per month to our Diane Wood International Solidarity and Humanity Fund. The fund provides financial support for projects that partner us with unions, community groups and non-governmental organizations in different parts of the world.
What does our International Solidarity Committee do?
- Show that the global community is watching: we often send official letters to governments and other organizations in support of our international partners.
- Spread awareness on issues of importance to workers around the world through alerts to our members with information as to how they can get involved.
- Support our international partners through member delegations and financial contributions.
Learn more about the International Solidarity Committee and the causes we support:
- Acorn International - organizing precarious workers in India
- Burmese Labour Solidarity Organization - labour organizing in Burma
- CoDevelopment Canada, a BC-based organization that looks to go beyond financial donations to our international partners.
- Through our partnership with CoDevelopment Canada, we support and promote the sale of Café Etico fair trade organic coffee.
- Dare Network - treating substance abuse along the Thai-Burmese border
- LabourStart - International trade union news. Join their email list for regular updates.
- Maquila Solidarity Network - supporting the efforts of workers in global supply chains to win improved wages and working conditions and greater respect for their rights.
- Partners in the Horn of Africa - responsive programming in Ethiopia
- Radio Labour's Newscast - International labour audio newscast, updated daily.
- Seva Canada - restoring eyesight around the world
- STIMMA - Medical and construction missions abroad
- VIDEA - capacity building in sub-Saharan Africa
- Allies in our fight against sweatshop labour: Maquila Solidarity, SweatFree Communites, and NoSweat Apparel
Do you know a project or organization that would be a good candidate for support from our International Solidarity Committee?
Let us know by filling out and sending in an application: